Prior to joining Walalangi & Partners, Ms. Setyaning Kartika Rini worked as an associate in other prominent law firms in Jakarta where she handled several high-profile national and international clients in court and national arbitration trials, criminal complaints, as well as out-off court alternative dispute resolution related to commercial disputes, bankruptcy, suspension of debt payment obligation (Penundaan Kewajiban Pembayaran Utang – PKPU), and criminal complaint or police report. With her diverse educational background and experiences, she was also entrusted to handle various prestigious M&A transactions and debt and corporate restructuring.
Ms. Setyaning Kartika Rini is a member of the Indonesian Advocates Association (PERADI) and had passed the tax consultant certification (brevet A and B).
During her years of practice, she has successfully assisted clients in the following notable works:
- Counsel to Indonesian subsidiary of a leading Japanese steel distributor company, in relation to crisis management matters following whistleblowing reports by its employees and former employee, including to assist the Indonesian subsidiary in interviewing the whistle-blower, collecting and analysing the submitted evidence; and to advise the client of risks management, compliance issue and available legal remedies.
- Counsel to a Japanese corporation in its internal legal audit and data forensic of its Indonesian subsidiary in relation to embezzlement allegation against one of its employees, focusing on the legal measures and avenues available for the Client.
- Advising an Indonesian start-up company engaging in digital commercial platform services, on its suspended banking service matter, and providing legal analysis on various avenues that are available to the company to deal with the issues, including when negotiating with the bank.
- Representing a Singaporean investment company in multi-million dollar claim submission and debt restructuring in suspension of debt payment obligation (Penundaan Kewajiban Pembayaran Utang – PKPU) and bankruptcy proceeding of one of the biggest Indonesian paper manufacturing companies at the Commercial Court of Surabaya.
- Representing an Indonesian subsidiary of a foreign finance and leasing company in recovering its financing losses through filing bankruptcy and/or suspension of debt payment obligation (Penundaan Kewajiban Pembayaran Utang – PKPU) petition against its numerous non-cooperative debtors, including handling civil claims countermeasure brought up by the debtors.
- Representing an Indonesian state-owned plantation company in multi-million dollar construction dispute before Indonesian National Arbitration Board (Badan Arbitrase Nasional Indonesia – BANI).
- Representing an Indonesian subsidiary of a European multinational conglomerate corporation in defending the validity of the arbitration award rendered by Indonesian National Arbitration Board (Badan Arbitrase Nasional Indonesia – BANI) contested by the counterparty at the District Court of Palembang.
- Counsel to an Indonesian construction company in amicably resolving a construction dispute against an Indonesian subsidiary of an Asia trading company.
- Counsel to and advise an Indonesian subsidiary of an Asia’s national petroleum corporation as the reported party in a criminal complaint with regards to a construction dispute filed at the Indonesian Criminal Investigation Agency (Badan Reserse Kriminal – Bareskrim).
- Counsel to and advise a subsidiary of Indonesian state-owned mining company in an acquisition of a joint venture company pioneering alumina industry in Indonesia, including its project finance facility to fund a large development plan of alumina-based industries in Indonesia.
- Counsel to an ASEAN bank in the assignment and novation of the first cross-border Islamic financing in Indonesia and granting additional Sharia facility to a reputable plantation company managing thousands of hectares of oil palm plantation in East and Central Kalimantan.
- Rainer Faustine Jonathan/Setyaning Kartika Rini, Workforce Adaptation to the New Normal, IFLR, 2022.