Prior to joining Walalangi & Partners, Rainer Faustine Jonathan worked as an associate in other prominent law firms in Jakarta. He was involved in the working group that handled employment issues, antitrust, real property, high-valued litigation and arbitration cases, as well as bankruptcy and suspension of payment.
During his years of practice, he has been successfully assisting and advising clients in the following notable works:
- Counsel to Indonesian subsidiary of a leading Japanese steel distributor company, in relation to crisis management matters following whistleblowing reports by its employees and former employee, including to assist the Indonesian subsidiary in interviewing the whistle-blower, collecting and analysing the submitted evidence; and to advise the client of risks management, compliance issue and available legal remedies.
- Counsel to a Japanese corporation in its internal legal audit and data forensic of its Indonesian subsidiary in relation to embezzlement allegation against one of its employees, focusing on the legal measures and avenues available for the Client.
- Counsel to a Japanese leading pharmaceuticals manufacturing company in legal audit and investigation of its Indonesian subsidiary relating to compliance issues and alleged embezzlement by certain employees, focusing on risk management by the Client.
- Advising an international insurtech company, on its various employment related matters, including preparation of the mutual separation agreement and notice of employment termination, and preparation of Indonesian subsidiary’s company regulation.
- Counsel to one of the world’s largest parts and systems provider, in relation to compliance of anti-bribery issues, including in preparation of guideline to all employees to ensure the compliance of the regulation.
- Advising a global multi-technology group companies, in preparing the Environment, Health & Safety Guidelines for its Indonesian subsidiaries, to support its effort and commitment to ensure compliance with the manpower regulations and promoting a health and safety working environment.
- Advising Indonesian subsidiary of a world leader in engineered polymer solutions based in Sweden, in the preparation of its company regulation and its ratification process with the regional manpower office.
- Advising a Hong Kong based telecommunications company having the world’s largest wholly owned subsea fibre backbone and a Tier-1 IP network with connectivity to 190+ countries and territories around the world, on its employment termination issues and hiring employee through local PEO (Professional Employer Organization).
- Advising a Japanese Biggest Oil Company’s Representative Office in its employment termination dispute matter.
- Counsel to Mitsui Co & Ltd,and FP Corporation on its Indonesian post-acquisition merger report of their acquisition of Lee Soon Seng Plastic Industries Sdn. Bhd., one of the largest manufacturers of functional food containers in Malaysia with packaging wholesalers in Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, the Philippines, and other Southeast Asian nations.
- Advising a primary provider of natural gas to the main cities of Japan on the implementation of its group companies’ global whistle-blowing system throughout multiple jurisdictions around the world, including Indonesia, which legal analysis covers scope of whistleblowing, anonymous report, contact routing system, and counter-measures.
- Acting for a reputable Indonesian company as the claimant in an ad-hoc arbitration, based on UNCITRAL rules, relating to development of coal terminal (port).
- Advising one of the biggest Japanese trading houses on its litigation case in Indonesian court against an Indonesian sugar producer group companies relating to compensation payment based on tort and annulment of loan agreements and its security documents.
- Representing one of the leading Indonesian pharmaceutical companies, as a respondent in SIAC arbitration proceeding relating to a claim brought by a claimant.
- Advising and supporting multiple Japanese major manufacturing companies, in relation to their investigation relating to anti-dumping investigation in Indonesia as a surrogate country on certain goods imported to Japan from the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and the Republic of Korea.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance Company, Limited (MUL), one of the biggest leasing and financing companies in the world, on its Indonesian post-merger report related matter with Hitachi Capital Corporation (HC), a Japan-based company engaged in leasing and financing services business in Japan and overseas. The merger is calculated at USD 2.8 billion and considered as one of the biggest merger deals, which results in the combined company’s annual sales amounting to USD 13.3 billion, assets worth about USD 95 billion, and almost 10,000 employees.
- Counsel to Mitsui & Co and Mitsui & Co Energy Trading Singapore in structuring their settlement arrangement in relation to the bankruptcy process of PT Petro Energy at the Commercial Court of Jakarta.
- Counsel to Showa Leasing Co Ltd as a secured creditor (lender) in a debt restructuring with its defaulting borrower (PT Pamindo Tiga T) through an ongoing suspension of payment at the Commercial Court of Jakarta.
- Advising Marubeni Corporation on the case of suspension of payment of PT Asmin Koalindo Tuhup at the Commercial Court of Jakarta.
- Representing PT Daikin Air Conditioning Indonesia on its litigation case in Indonesian court against its customer.
- Counsel to Mitbana Pte Ltd, a joint venture company of Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) and Surbana Jurong (SJ), in strategic partnership to develop 51 hectares township and transit-oriented development (TOD) in Tangerang, Greater Jakarta, Indonesia, that will be developed into a township made up of gated cluster landed homes, retail and F&B outlets, feature apartments, retail and commercial spaces integrated with a bus interchange and future rail station.
- Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Siti Kemala Nuraida/Rainer Faustine Jonathan/Rio Armando Girsang, Real Estate Comparative Guide 2022, The Legal 500, 2022.
- Rainer Faustine Jonathan/Setyaning Kartika Rini, Workforce Adaptation to the New Normal, IFLR, 2022.
- Luky Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Andhika Indrapraja/Rainer Faustine Jonathan, Chambers Global Guide 2021: Law & Practice – Real Estate 2021.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Andhika Indrapraja/Rainer Faustine Jonathan, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG) to Real Estate 2020, Global Legal Group, 2020.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Andhika Indrapraja/Rainer Faustine Jonathan, Real Estate 2019, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG), Global Legal Group, 2019.
- Miriam Andreta/Rainer Faustine Jonathan/Putri Bening Larasati, Merger Control 8th Edition, Global Legal Insight (GLI), 2019.