Prior to joining Walalangi & Partners, Rainer Faustine Jonathan worked as an associate in other prominent law firms in Jakarta. He was involved in the working group that handled several high-valued litigation and arbitration cases related to employment, commercial dispute, and bankruptcy as well as suspension of payment and has gained tremendous experience and practical knowledge in those matters. In addition, he has been highly praised by his clients in their various transactions such as M&A, antitrust, environment, land acquisition as well as real property.
During his years of practice, he has been successfully assisting and advising clients in the following notable works:
- Representing one of the leading Indonesian pharmaceutical companies, as a respondent in SIAC arbitration proceeding relating to a claim brought by a claimant, including a relief of more than USD 4,000,000.
- Advising and supporting multiple Japanese major manufacturing companies, in relation to their investigation relating to anti-dumping investigation in Indonesia as a surrogate country on certain goods imported to Japan from the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and the Republic of Korea.
- Counsel to one of world’s leading manufacturers of automotive and motorcycle batteries, on the restructuring and expansion of its Indonesian subsidiary’s automobiles lead-acid batteries distribution business, which aim to maximize the synergy effects and its position in Indonesian market. The expansion would allow the Client to strengthen its supply chain for fuel-efficient and eco-friendly technologies for cars and motorcycles.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance Company, Limited (MUL), one of the biggest leasing and financing companies in the world, on its Indonesian post-merger report related matter with Hitachi Capital Corporation (HC), a Japan-based company engaged in leasing and financing services business in Japan and overseas. The merger is calculated at USD 2.8 billion and considered as one of the biggest merger deals, which results in the combined company’s annual sales amounting to USD 13.3 billion, assets worth about USD 95 billion, and almost 10,000 employees. The merger places the merged company Mitsubishi HC Capital Inc amongst the top global players in the leasing business, with the focus of business areas covering Japan, Europe, the Americas, Greater China (China and Hong Kong), and Asia and Oceania. Through the merger, MUL and HC aim to build and maximize an ideal and mutual complementary relationship to establish an extensive, comprehensive and highly competitive line-up of businesses, and achieve diversification in their respective portfolios, including business domains and geographical areas.
- Advising a leading Japanese video game developer and publisher listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange (CCOEF) with headquarter in Osaka, on Indonesian regulatory matters relating to progressive business model development plan, including online games offerings, digital currency and payments, loot box features, business and games rating registration requirements, consumer protection, and personal data privacy rules.
- Counsel to Mitbana Pte Ltd, a joint venture company of Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) and Surbana Jurong (SJ), in the biggest (and first of its kind) advance smart and sustainable Transit-Oriented Developments (TODs) in BSD City, South Tangerang, Greater Jakarta, where Mitbana forms a significant partnership with leading Indonesian property developer Sinar Mas Land. Building on BSD City’s track record, the Project is to transform hundreds of hectares of greenfield land into TODs comprising residential units, commercial properties, living amenities, green-park offices, digital hubs, a convention centre, a hospital, schools, railways and public transport nodes, which enlarges BSD City’s existing development footprint and expand on its current population of 200,000 residents.
This is the first-of-its-kind integrated TODs in Indonesia that includes master planning in a post-pandemic world, and adoption of smart and sustainable technological solutions and to support the Indonesian government’s focus on infrastructure development in Jakarta, including development of railway stations, which will result in better connectivity for commuters and residents. Mitbana leverages MC’s global experience in real estate developments including integrated developments and technology implementation in diversified industry as well as SJ’s technical capabilities in master planning, urban, residential and industrial development.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) in its real property and urban development in a prestigious South Jakarta area Fatmawati with a leading Indonesian property developer, with the total project area of 3,300 m2, where the Project includes expansion of mixed-uses properties, including apartment and commercial premise and involves complex spatial allocation conversion as well as land sales and purchase.
- Counsel to Leopalace21 Singapore Pte. Ltd on the development of residential apartment tower project in Bekasi, Greater Jakarta area, with one leading Indonesian real property company The MAJ Group and PT Central Graha Sejahtera. The Project will be developed in 2 stages, the first stage in the development of1665 units and it aims mid-level young families and millennials. Massive infrastructure development has made the property in suburban area of Greater Jakarta thriving due to its attractiveness to mid-level young families.
- Counsel to Mitsui & Co and Mitsui & Co Energy Trading Singapore in structuring their settlement arrangement in relation to the bankruptcy process of PT Petro Energy at the Commercial Court of Jakarta.
- Counsel to Showa Leasing Co Ltd as a secured creditor (lender) in a debt restructuring with its defaulting borrower (PT Pamindo Tiga T) through an ongoing suspension of payment at the Commercial Court of Jakarta.
- Advising one of the biggest Japanese trading houses on its litigation case in Indonesian court against an Indonesian sugar producer group companies relating to compensation payment based on tort and annulment of loan agreements and its security documents.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi Corporation in its superblock urban development project of more than USD 350 million, located in 12 Ha area of Vasanta InnoPark, Bekasi regency, West java Indonesia. As a whole, Vasanta InnoPark plans to construct 17 high-rise buildings, including apartments, commercial facilities, office buildings, and hotels and it is situated in a very strategic location for connecting to airports, ports, and industrial parks.
- Counsel to Toyota Tsusho Corporation in its real property and phase III residential expansion, through land acquisition and residential towers development, located in Cikarang Bekasi, with a total investment value of IDR 910,000,000,000 or approximately ¥7,142 million. This is the continuation of the successful establishment and operation of the preceding AXIA Phase I and AXIA Phase II.
- Counsel to subsidiary of a Japanese steel manufacturing company in structuring of its subsidiary’ export-import of steel products facilities arrangement toward default of payment by an Indonesian steel company, involving multi-layer sale and purchase transactions and complex structure of Indonesian security interest towards the related payment obligations.
- Advising Marubeni Corporation on the case of suspension of payment of PT Asmin Koalindo Tuhup at the Commercial Court of Jakarta.
- Counsel to PT Daikin Air Conditioning Indonesia on its litigation case in Indonesian court against its customer.
- Advising a Japanese Biggest Oil Company’s Representative Office in its employment termination dispute matter.
- Advising one of the biggest paramedical laboratory companies in its potential dispute with its principal in Hong Kong in relation to unilateral termination of distributorship agreement.
- Advising numerous Japanese companies in their various antitrust issues and post-merger report notification.
- Acting for one of the biggest Indonesian transportation taxi companies as the defendant in Indonesian courts proceeding.
- Acting for numerous multinational companies, as either defendants or the plaintiff, in number of court proceedings relating to implementation of contracts, to name a few: sale and purchase of rubber, gas compressor rental and debt to equity swap.
- Acting for an Indonesian company in an arbitration case hearing at Badan Arbitrase Nasional Indonesia (as respondent) relating to acquisition of chemical business.
- Acting for a reputable Indonesian company as the claimant in an ad-hoc arbitration, based on UNCITRAL rules, relating to development of coal terminal (port).
- Acting for several Indonesian companies as the defendants in bankruptcy cases before the commercial court and the supreme court and acting for a German bank, as a secured creditor, in a suspension of payment and bankruptcy case.
- Acting for various and numbers of Indonesian companies, as the defendant or the plaintiff, in relation to labor dispute cases before the Indonesian industrial relations court.
- Luky Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Andhika Indrapraja/Rainer Faustine Jonathan, Chambers Global Guide 2021: Law & Practice – Real Estate 2021;
- Luky I. Walalangi/Andhika Indrapraja/Rainer Faustine Jonathan, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG) to Real Estate 2020, Global Legal Group, 2020.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Andhika Indrapraja/Rainer Faustine Jonathan, Real Estate 2019, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG), Global Legal Group, 2019.
- Miriam Andreta/Rainer Faustine Jonathan/Putri Bening Larasati, Merger Control 8th Edition, Global Legal Insight (GLI), 2019.