Luky I. Walalangi has been assisting numerous and various foreign companies in their complex investments and acquisitions (including assets and portfolio loan acquisitions), real property projects, and corporate restructurings in Indonesia. He has also represented leading global banking and financial groups in major finance transactions, bond issuance, sophisticated fund-raising projects as well as a number of major electricity projects in Indonesia.
He is considered among the leading M&A, TMT and finance practitioners by various reputable independent legal directories, including Chambers Global, Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Fintech, The Legal500, IFLR1000, Asialaw, Asian Legal Business and Asia Business Law Journal. He is also recognized as a top ranked lawyer in corporate/M&A by Chambers Global and Chambers Asia Pacific. In addition, Asia Business Law Journal named him on the A-List of Indonesia’s Top 100 Lawyers for six consecutive years from 2018 to 2023, and he is also highly regarded by IFLR1000 and Asialaw in the areas of banking, corporate and M&A, and project finance.
In the areas of M&A, asset acquisition and real property, Luky I. Walalangi has been successfully assisting and advising clients in the following prestigious deals:
- Counsel to PT MC Urban Development Indonesia (MCUDI), a real estate development company and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mitsubishi Corporation (MC), in its strategic partnership with Indonesia Investment Authority (INA), a sovereign wealth fund of Indonesia, and the ESR Group, the largest real asset manager in Asia Pacific region and the third largest listed real estate investment manager globally, to develop logistic assets in Indonesia through joint venture investments in modern warehouse facilities located at well-known prime logistic parks in Cikarang and Karawang, West Java.
- Counsel to MUFG Bank in total approximately EUR 596 million acquisition of 100% shares of HC Consumer Finance Philippines, Inc and 85.0% shares of PT Home Credit Indonesia, subsidiaries of Home Credit B.V. The acquisition is done through MUFG Bank and its consolidated subsidiaries Bank of Ayudhya Public Company Limited, the fifth largest commercial bank in Thailand and PT. Adira Dinamika Multi Finance.
- Counsel to Mitsui & Co., Ltd and Penske Truck Leasing, the largest commercial vehicle leasing company in North America, in the establishment of their truck operating lease business in Indonesia together with CSM Corporatama, a subsidiary of Indomobil under the major Indonesian conglomerate Salim Group. Through this project, the parties plan contribute to the Indonesian economy by providing well-maintained trucks to tackle issues in freight transportation which would reduce road infrastructure damages and traffic accidents.
- Counsel to Mitbana Pte Ltd, a joint venture company of Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) and Surbana Jurong (SJ), in strategic partnership to develop 51 hectares township and transit-oriented development (TOD) in Tangerang, Greater Jakarta, Indonesia, that will be developed into a township made up of gated cluster landed homes, retail and F&B outlets, feature apartments, retail and commercial spaces integrated with a bus interchange and future rail station.
- Counsel to one of the largest Japanese banks in its USD200 million acquisition of an e-commerce and digital financing services businesses throughout Southeast Asia, which would allow the client to further contribute and fulfil various financial needs to customers in Indonesia and other Southeast Asian countries as well as leveraging its group’s growth in financial services sector.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi Corporation and Sinar Mas Land on the inauguration of the PoC of Indonesia’s first autonomous electric vehicle at Q-Big BSD City, using first intelligent transportation system of French-made shuttle bus Navya Arma. The 15-passenger self-driving electric vehicle has a battery capacity of 33 kWh and is equipped with Global Positioning System (GPS) and Light Radar (LIDAR) sensor. This goes in parallel with the vision of G20, i.e., to go towards smart green cities, more low-carbon mobility, and less traffic congestion.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) and its Indonesian subsidiary PT Diamond Development Indonesia (DDI) in their new urban integrated township project with an estimated gross development value (GDV) of IDR 9 trillion (approx. USD 630 million) in SHILA at Sawangan, a 102-hectare township in Depok, West Java, Indonesia.
- Counsel to Mitbana Pte Ltd, a joint venture company of Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) and Surbana Jurong (SJ), in the biggest (and first of its kind) advance smart and sustainable Transit-Oriented Developments (TODs) in BSD City, South Tangerang, Greater Jakarta, where Mitbana forms a significant partnership with leading Indonesian property developer Sinar Mas Land. Building on BSD City’s track record, the Project is to transform hundreds of hectares of greenfield land into TODs comprising residential units, commercial properties, living amenities, green-park offices, digital hubs, a convention centre, a hospital, schools, railways and public transport nodes, which enlarges BSD City’s existing development footprint and expand on its current population of 200,000 residents.
- Counsel to Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation in their USD 7 billion joint acquisition with ArcelorMittal SA of Essar Steel India Limited, one of the largest major steel manufacturing companies with fully integrated steelworks and extensive domestic sales channels in India, resulting to Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation and ArcelorMittal SA taking control of the 10 million ton-per-year Essar Steel plant, marking the first participation of global steel majors in the fast-growing Indian steel market without a local partner.
- Counsel to Tokyo Gas Asia Pte. Ltd in the acquisition PT Super Energy Tbk (SE), a publicly-listed Indonesian company, PT Energy Mina Abadi, and PT Gasuma Federal Indonesia and PT Bahtera Abadi Gas. SE company group is one of the most productive Indonesian gas distribution group companies, which is expanding its gas projects throughout Java.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance in its investment in Gojek, as part of its ongoing Serie F funding round, which together with investment of Mitsubishi Corporation have raised over USD1 billion investment. The new investment allows Mitsubishi to tap into Gojek’s expertise and presence in the mobility and consumer services market and at the same time enable Gojek to continue to develop new products and services to reach more people and create greater value and to invest across transport, food, delivery, logistics, mobile payments and merchant services businesses and to accelerate its market expansion across Southeast Asia.
- Counsel to Hokkan Holdings Corporation (Hokkan), one of the largest Japanese bottling and packaging maker companies, in its 1,262 billion Indonesian Rupiah or approximately 9.5 billion yen acquisition of beverage package manufacturing business from 7 group companies of PT. Deltapack Industri (DPI group), which includes transfer and assignment of substantial DPI group’s moveable and immovable assets as well as business portfolios.
- Counsel to Tokyo Tatemono Co Ltd & Tokyo Tatemono Asia Pte Ltd, one of the biggest Japanese real property companies, in their proposed of more than $ 300,000,000 urban development projects in Indonesia, specifically on the development of certain prominent office and residential towers in the most prestigious area in south Jakarta.
Seminars and Publications:
- A guest lecturer representing Indonesia in the 10th Symposium on International Civil and Commercial Law, organized by the Ministry of Justice of Japan, through the International Civil and Commercial Law Center Foundation (ICCLC), co-held by Osaka Chamber of Commerce and Industry and supported by Japan External Trade Organization, Osaka Headquarters, Japan International Cooperation Agency, Osaka Bar Association, and Kansai Economic Federation, where together with guest lecturers from Japan, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam, Mr. Luky Walalangi discussed and compared legal situations and practical issues and future prospects of joint venture in each jurisdiction.
- Keynote Panelist at GC Summit held by The Legal 500 (Legalease) on “Cross Border M&A in Emerging Markets; recent legislative changes impact on inbound investment to Indonesia and how can legal teams and GCs step up to meet new compliance demands and ensure a successful cross-border investment”, attended by more than 100 Indonesian GCs from major companies.
- Keynote Speaker at “Developments of Indonesian Legal Markets and Indonesian Financing” at annual Legal Forum in Tokyo and Fukuoka City, attended by more than 60 participants from various Japanese companies, banks and financial institutions.
- Keynote Speaker at “Indonesian Offshore Loan and Security Interests and Rapid Growth of Indonesian P2P Practices” in Singapore, held at the Japanese Association Singapore, attended by more than 35 representatives of Japanese banks and companies.
- Keynote Speaker at “Panel Discussion on Public M&A” in Tokyo, attended by more than 50 Japanese companies where he discussed factual issues in practice as well as various practical solutions.
- Keynote Speaker at “Analytical Review of Indonesian Regulations on Merger, Acquisition and Consolidation”, held by the most prestigious Indonesian law online journal Hukumonline.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Sinta Dwi Cestakarani/Rendi Prahara Septiawedi/Yuki Tresnaningtyas/Alan Sylvester Chandra: Practice Area Overview: Corporate/M&A 2023, Chambers Global Guide, 2023.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Rendi Prahara Septiawedi, Indonesia’s Carbon Trading System: Challenges and Opportunities, IFLR, 2022.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Siti Kemala Nuraida/Andhika Indrapraja, Real Estate Comparative Guide 2021, The Legal500, 2021.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Rendi Prahara Septiawedi, Regional Guide to Renewable Energy Laws 2021, Asia Business Law Journal, 2021.
- Luky Walalangi/Jeanne Elisabeth Donauw/Siti Kemala Nuraida/Sinta Dwi Cestakarani, Chambers Global Practice Guide on Doing Business In Indonesia – Trends & Developments 2021.
- Luky Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Andhika Indrapraja/Rainer Faustine Jonathan, Chambers Global Guide 2021: Law & Practice – Real Estate 2021;
- Luky I. Walalangi/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 Guide: Practice Area Overview Chapter – Corporate M&A in Indonesia.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Jeanne Elisabeth Donauw/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Andhika Indrapraja, Country Overview as Thought Leader, Chambers Global Guide, 2021.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Corporate M&A 2020: Trends & Developments, Chambers & Partners, 2020.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Andhika Indrapraja/Rainer Faustine Jonathan, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG) to Real Estate 2020, Global Legal Group, 2020.