Having extensive experience in assisting clients with their investments into Indonesia, Jeanne Elisabeth Donauw has a deep understanding of the practice and thinking of Indonesian regulators. She has been praised by her clients for being helpful in guiding them to ensure the smooth implementation of their investment plans.
She works with strategic investors as well as financial investors in relation to their investments in various sectors. Here are some of her selected experiences:
- Counsel to one of the largest trading Japanese companies in greenfield investment in retail trade with an extensive network of vending machines operation across Indonesia.
- Counsel to one of the largest Japanese trading companies in its pilot smart city project in a Greater Jakarta Area, focusing on legal requirements for online platform, personal data processing and data transfer.
- Advising a leading Japanese telecommunication and a Japanese Fortune Global 500 company on various Indonesian law’s regulatory framework related to its proposed investment in various digital payment and finance sectors in Indonesia, including among others, mobile payment and Q&R code based payment services, online loyalty point related services, digital banking and financing, small loan online services, digital consumer finance (including buy now pay later (BNPL) arrangement), and digital insurance.
- Counsel to one of the biggest trading Japanese companies in its total IDR 500 billion restructuring and divestment, which include capital reduction and shares transfer with a value of nearly IDR 60 billion, in relation to its joint venture with one of the largest Indonesian conglomerate groups and real property leaders.
- Counsel to an Indonesian company whose business focuses to provide an online platform to facilitate sale and purchase of used cars – in relation to (i) the proposed cooperation with a partner national bank to provide car financing facilities to the company’s customers, and (ii) the transfer and assignment of the financing portfolio by the partner national bank to an affiliate of the company engaging in multi finance.
- Advising an emerging Indonesian marketplace platform start-up that facilitates small-medium size enterprises in selling their products online and help them with bookkeeping – in relation to (i) analysis of data collection and storage, payment initiation, administration and verification of source of fund, e-money issuance, (ii) structuring its existing business activities and key licensing requirements, (iii) payment services provider (PSP) license, scope of activities, shareholding and voting rights of foreign shareholders and capitalization and (iv) analysis on its share acquisitions plan of PSP companies.
- Advising an Indonesian start-up company engaging in digital commercial platform services, on issues around suspended banking services, and providing legal analysis on various avenues that are available to the company to deal with the issues.
- Advising an emerging Indonesian start-up company in relation to its queries on consumer loyalty program, including analysis on relevant requirements and restrictions under Indonesian laws.
- Advising one of the biggest trading Japanese companies in relation to its queries on autonomous electric vehicle.
- Advising a Japanese-affiliated company on Indonesian law aspects in relation to its proposed establishment and development of internet-based platform to be used for holding cross-border e-sport tournaments, particularly, with respect to its proposed business model and payment arrangements, including the use of digital currency, such as cryptocurrency, and limitations on its use, as well as advising on compliance issues, including, personal data protection rules, creditworthiness scoring activities under OJK regulations, and obligations of an electronic system operator.
- One of the key speakers in the joint discussion with the Ministry of Investment / Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM) on “M&A trends (Indonesia-focus): Risk Management and Strategies in Limiting Potential Liabilities” at Indonesian In-House Counsel Summit 2023, held jointly by the Indonesian Corporate Counsel Association (ICCA) and Hukumonline, attended by more than 50 GCs of Indonesian major companies.
- Jeanne Elisabeth Donauw/Rendi Prahara Septiawedi/Putri Bening Larasati, Real Estate Comparative Guide, The Legal 500, 2023.
- Jeanne Elisabeth Donauw/Andhika Indrapraja, The Rise of Digital Financial Innovation in Indonesia, IFLR, 2022.
- Jeanne Elisabeth Donauw/Raditya Pratamandika Putra/Putri Bening Larasati, Chambers Asia Pacific 2022 Guide: Practice Area Overview Chapter – Corporate M&A in Indonesia, Chambers & Partners, 2022.
- Luky Walalangi/Jeanne Elisabeth Donauw/Siti Kemala Nuraida/Sinta Dwi Cestakarani, Chambers Global Practice Guide on Doing Business In Indonesia – Trends & Developments 2021, Chambers & Partners, 2021.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Jeanne Elisabeth Donauw/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Andhika Indrapraja, Country Overview as Thought Leader, Chambers Global Guide, Chambers & Partners, 2021.