Prior to joining Walalangi & Partners, Hans Adiputra Kurniawan had worked at one of the biggest law firms and at one of the largest foreign banks in Indonesia as the Indonesia’s Country Transaction Manager, where he gained valuable hands-on experience and opportunity working with the corporate trust and loan agency team in numerous major syndication loans, project finance and business acquisition financing, including the financing and refinancing transactions of various leading companies, such as telecommunication tower companies, shipping companies, gold and copper mining companies, oil and gas companies as well as a greenfield ammonia production plant in Indonesia.
In capital market transactions, he represented various foreign investors in numerous acquisitions of Indonesian listed company, through either right issue or shares acquisition (within and outside IDX) and acted as counsel to bondholders in a number of bond issuance.
In respect of M&A, he has represented a number of Japanese trading companies for their investment plans in Indonesia in numerous projects and cross-border transactions, ranging from plantation and steel industry projects to the acquisitions of shares, business and assets (land) as well as other practice areas, such as general mining, oil and gas, tourism, property, trading (including warehouse and e-commerce), fishery, and multi-finance industries.
Hans Adiputra Kurniawan has been awarded various accolades as a lawyer. He was named one of the best young lawyers of 2020 by Asian Legal Business (ALB), as one of the “Asia Future Leaders” by IFLR1000 2021, and as a “Leading Lawyer – Rising Star” by IFLR1000 30th and 31st Edition. In addition, he was also named on the list of Indonesia’s Rising Stars 2020” and the “40 under 40” list of outstanding legal professionals in Asia in 2019 by Asian Legal Business (ALB).
The following are some of the prestigious deals that he has been involved in:
- Counsel to Mitsubishi Corporation and Sinar Mas Land on the inauguration of the PoC of Indonesia’s first autonomous electric vehicle at Q-Big BSD City, using first intelligent transportation system of French-made shuttle bus Navya Arma. The 15-passenger self-driving electric vehicle has a battery capacity of 33 kWh and is equipped with Global Positioning System (GPS) and Light Radar (LIDAR) sensor. This goes in parallel with the vision of G20, i.e., to go towards smart green cities, more low-carbon mobility, and less traffic congestion. Mitsubishi Corporation and Sinar Mas Land are pioneering the use of digital technology to cater to smart city features, and have been putting constant effort to embed digital technology to leverage the quality of life, as well as boost the social economy sector. The technology-based facilities are intended to support their integrated Transit-Oriented Developments (TODs) in BSD, South Tangerang, which are by far the biggest (and first-of-its-kind) smart and sustainable TOD project in Indonesia.
- Counsel to Mitbana Pte Ltd, a joint venture company of Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) and Surbana Jurong (SJ), in the biggest (and first of its kind) advance smart and sustainable Transit-Oriented Developments (TODs) in BSD City, South Tangerang, Greater Jakarta, where Mitbana forms a significant partnership with leading Indonesian property developer Sinar Mas Land. Building on BSD City’s track record, the Project is to transform hundreds of hectares of greenfield land into TODs comprising residential units, commercial properties, living amenities, green-park offices, digital hubs, a convention centre, a hospital, schools, railways and public transport nodes, which enlarges BSD City’s existing development footprint and expand on its current population of 200,000 residents.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) and its Indonesian subsidiary PT Diamond Development Indonesia (DDI) in their new urban integrated township project with an estimated gross development value (GDV) of IDR 9 trillion (approx. USD 630 million) in SHILA at Sawangan, a 102-hectare township in Depok, West Java, Indonesia. To implement the project, MC and DDI have formed a significant partnership with a leading Indonesian real property developer listed on IDX, PT Pakuan Tbk. The development project comprises premium landed housing clusters integrated with a range of facilities, such as a golf course, commercial facilities, dining pods, the X-Change, and other supporting innovative public facilities. It is constructed right next to the under-construction circular JORR2 Toll Road, providing the residents with more convenient connectivity to Jakarta, Tangerang, and the Soekarno-Hatta International Airport.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi Corporation in its superblock urban development project of more than USD 350 million, located in 12 Ha area of Vasanta InnoPark, Bekasi regency, West Java Indonesia. As a whole, Vasanta InnoPark plans to construct 17 high-rise buildings, including apartments, commercial facilities, office buildings and hotels and it is situated in a very strategic location for connecting to airports, ports and industrial parks.
- Counsel to Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation in their USD 7 billion joint acquisition with ArcelorMittal SA of Essar Steel India Limited, one of the largest major steel manufacturing companies with fully integrated steelworks and extensive domestic sales channels in India, resulting to Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation and ArcelorMittal SA taking control of the 10 million ton-per-year Essar Steel plant, marking the first participation of global steel majors in the fast-growing Indian steel market without a local partner.
- Counsel to Tokyo Gas Asia Pte. Ltd in the acquisition PT Super Energy Tbk (SE), a publicly-listed Indonesian company, PT Energy Mina Abadi, and PT Gasuma Federal Indonesia and PT Bahtera Abadi Gas. SE company group is one of the most productive Indonesian gas distribution group companies, which is expanding its gas projects throughout Java.
- Counsel to PT Bank Sahabat Sampoerna and Koperasi Sahabat Sampoerna in their proposed acquisition of aggregate IDR 7 trillion (USD 550 million) loan portfolios of approximately 80,000 small scale – medium scale loan accounts from another licensed Indonesian bank, including advising and assisting the clients in the structuring complex and sophisticated financing and fundraising structures and the subsequent plan to service of the proposed portfolio loans.
- Counsel to a Japanese Fortune Global 500 company in structuring its proposed direct and indirect investment of an Indonesian publicly listed company, including sophisticated and complex multilayer corporate actions of pre-emptive rights transfer and subscription of new shares.
- Advising an Indonesian start-up company engaging in digital commercial platform services, on its suspended banking service matter, and providing legal analysis on various avenues that are available to the company to deal with the issues, including when negotiating with the bank.
- Counsel to an Indonesian company whose business focuses to provide an online platform to facilitate sale and purchase of used cars – in relation to (i) the proposed cooperation with a partner national bank to provide car financing facilities to the company’s customers, and (ii) the transfer and assignment of the financing portfolio by the partner national bank to an affiliate of the company engaging in multi finance.
- Counsel to Japan Bike Auction Company Ltd., a leading Japanese motorcycle online auction company headquartered in Yokohama, in its successful divestment from PT JBA Indonesia, a pioneer and major player in Indonesian automotive auction market with more than 16 branches and 18 hubs operating across Indonesia.
- Counsel to one of world’s leading manufacturers of automotive and motorcycle batteries, on the restructuring and expansion of its Indonesian subsidiary’s automobiles lead-acid batteries distribution business, which aim to maximize the synergy effects and its position in Indonesian market.
- Advising a leading Japanese telecommunication and a Japanese Fortune Global 500 company on various Indonesian law’s regulatory framework related to its proposed investment in various digital payment and finance sectors in Indonesia, including among others, mobile payment and Q&R code based payment services, online loyalty point related services, digital banking and financing, small loan online services, digital consumer finance (including buy now pay later (BNPL) arrangement), and digital insurance.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance in its investment in Gojek, as part of its ongoing Series F funding round, which together with investment of Mitsubishi Corporation have raised over USD1 billion investment.
- Counsel to Tokyo Tatemono Co Ltd & Tokyo Tatemono Asia Pte Ltd, one of the biggest Japanese real property companies, in their proposed of more than $ 300,000,000 urban development projects in Indonesia, specifically on the development of certain prominent office and residential towers in the most prestigious area in south Jakarta.
- Counsel to Hokkan Holdings Corporation (Hokkan), one of the largest Japanese bottling and packaging maker companies, in its 1,262 billion Indonesian Rupiah or approximately 9.5 billion yen acquisition of beverage package manufacturing business from 7 group companies of PT. Deltapack Industri (DPI group), which includes transfer and assignment of substantial DPI group’s moveable and immovable assets as well as business portfolios.
- Counsel to and advising Showa Denko on the structuring and successful divestment from PT Indonesia Chemical Alumina (ICA), a company established in 2007, with a capital of USD 188,500,000 and annual production of 300,000 ton of chemical grade alumina (GCA) resulting to annual sales of US$ 200 million. The divestment resulted in PT Aneka Tambang Tbk owning 100% of ICA’s shares.
- Advising a Japanese-affiliated company on Indonesian law aspects in relation to its proposed establishment and development of internet-based platform to be used for holding cross-border e-sport tournaments, particularly, with respect to its proposed business model and payment arrangements, including the use of digital currency, such as cryptocurrency, and limitations on its use, as well as advising on compliance issues, including, personal data protection rules, creditworthiness scoring activities under OJK regulations, and obligations of an electronic system operator.
Seminars and Publications:
- A co- lecturer representing Indonesia in the 10th Symposium on International Civil and Commercial Law, organized by the Ministry of Justice of Japan, through the International Civil and Commercial Law Center Foundation (ICCLC), co-held by Osaka Chamber of Commerce and Industry and supported by Japan External Trade Organization, Osaka Headquarters, Japan International Cooperation Agency, Osaka Bar Association, and Kansai Economic Federation, where together with guest lecturers from Japan, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam, the firm discussed and compared legal situations and practical issues and future prospects of joint venture in each jurisdiction.
- Keynote Speaker at “Indonesian Offshore Loan and Security Interests and Rapid Growth of Indonesian P2P Practices” in Singapore, held at the Japanese Association Singapore, attended by more than 35 representatives of Japanese banks and companies.
- Keynote Speaker at “Analytical Review of Indonesian Regulations on Merger, Acquisition and Consolidation”, held by the most prestigious Indonesian law online journal HukumOnline.
- Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Siti Kemala Nuraida/Rainer Faustine Jonathan/Rio Armando Girsang, Real Estate Comparative Guide 2022, The Legal 500, 2022.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Siti Kemala Nuraida/Andhika Indrapraja, Real Estate Comparative Guide 2021, The Legal500, 2021.
- Luky Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Andhika Indrapraja/Rainer Faustine Jonathan, Chambers Global Guide 2021: Law & Practice – Real Estate 2021.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Jeanne Elisabeth Donauw/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Andhika Indrapraja, Country Overview as Thought Leader, Chambers Global Guide, 2021.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Anggarara CP Hamami, Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 Guide: Practice Area Overview Chapter – Corporate M&A in Indonesia.
- Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Siti Kemala Nuraida, Real Estate 2021, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG), Global Legal Group, 2021.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Corporate M&A 2020 : Trends & Developments, Chambers & Partners, 2020.
- Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Femalia Indrainy Kusumowidagdo/Raditya Pratamandika Putra, Banking Regulation 2020, Getting The Deal Through, 2020.
- Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Anggarara Hamami/Ophelia Novka Kusuma Asri, Lending and Secured Finance 2020, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG), Global Legal Group, 2020.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Legal Frontiers in Indonesia: Innovative Approaches to Cross Border M&A, Asia Business Law Journal, 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Indonesia Country Report, Mergers & Acquisitions 2019, Asialaw.
- Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Femalia Indrainy Kusumowidagdo, Banking Regulation 2019, Getting The Deal Through, 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Banking Regulation 2019 Edition, Global Legal Insight (GLI), 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Sinta Dwi Cestakarani, Fintech 2019 Edition, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG), Global Legal Group, 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Indonesian Banking Regulation, Global Legal Insight (GLI), 2018.