Hans Adiputra Kurniawan is recognized by Asian Legal Business as one of the Best Young Lawyers of 2020, who worked in significant deals in the past years and earned accolades from his peers, superiors and client. Prior to joining Walalangi & Partners as an associate in 2017, he worked at one of the biggest law firms in Jakarta from 2010 until 2014. In late 2014, he moved to one of the largest foreign banks in Indonesia as a Transaction Manager, where he had gained depth exposures by strengthening the corporate trust and loan agency team and involved in numerous major syndication loans, project finance and business acquisition financing, including the financing and refinancing transactions for several leading telecommunication tower companies, shipping companies, gold and copper mining companies, oil and gas company as well as greenfield ammonia production plant in Indonesia. He obtained a certificate from the Asia Pacific Loan Market Association in Hong Kong for a syndicated loan practice as well as risk management from Lembaga Sertifikasi Profesi Perbankan in Jakarta.
In the areas of banking and finance, Mr. Hans Adiputra Kurniawan has been involved in major syndication loans (including debt restructuring and power projects), bond-issuances as well as general advisory. In respect of foreign direct investment and M&A, he represents a number Japanese trading companies for their investment plans in Indonesia in numerous projects and cross-border transactions, relating to plantation projects, steel industry, various acquisition of shares, business and assets (land) as well as other practice areas of law, such as general mining, oil and gas, tourism, property, trading (including warehouse and e-commerce), fishery and multi-finance industry.
He is recognized by IFLR1000 2021 as Leading Lawyer – Rising Star. He was listed as Rising Stars Indonesia 2020 by Asian Legal Business and was also listed as “40 under 40”, a list of outstanding legal professionals in Asia by ALB in 2019.
The following are certain selected prestigious deals that he has been involved in:
- Counsel to one of world’s leading manufacturers of automotive and motorcycle batteries, on the restructuring and expansion of its Indonesian subsidiary’s automobiles lead-acid batteries distribution business, which aim to maximize the synergy effects and its position in Indonesian market. The expansion would allow the Client to strengthen its supply chain for fuel-efficient and eco-friendly technologies for cars and motorcycles.
- Counsel to one of the biggest leasing and financing companies in the world, on its merger control preparation and submission to Indonesia Business Competition Supervisory Commission in relation to its merger with a Japan-based company engaged in leasing and financing services business in Japan and overseas. Through the merger, they aim to build and maximize an ideal and mutual complementary relationship to establish an extensive, comprehensive and highly competitive line-up of businesses, and achieve diversification in their respective portfolios, including business domains and geographical areas.
- Advising one of the most rapid growing technology and game companies based in the US, with approximately 36.2 million daily users (spanning over 180 countries) and revenue of US$589 million only for January – September 2020, on various Indonesian regulatory matters to include gaming regulations, gaming applications rating, registration requirements, content requirements and restrictions as well as personal data protection.
- Advising a leading Japanese video game developer and publisher listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange (CCOEF) with headquarter in Osaka, on Indonesian regulatory matters relating to progressive business model development plan, including online games offerings, digital currency and payments, loot box features, business and games rating registration requirements, consumer protection, and personal data privacy rules.
- Counsel to PT Dhost Telekomunikasi Nusantara, a wholly owned Indonesian subsidiary of of DeClout Limited, an Indonesian company engaging in provision of service of equipment and infrastructure of in-building distributed antenna system (DAS) and fibre optic system, in its financing and acquisition process of indoor telecommunication infrastructure assets from PT XL Axiata Tbk, one of the largest cellular telecommunications networks and services provider in Indonesia. The transaction was completed in September 2020, where we successfully assisted DHOST in reaching an agreement with XL for the acquisition of 196 Picocell. These Picocell will then leaseback by XL for its operations across the country. The acquisition is a pivotal step for DHOST in expanding its indoor telecommunication infrastructure assets management portfolio across Indonesia and at the same time will in turn help XL and other telecommunications network and services providers to deliver stable and reliable telecommunications networks across numerous buildings in Indonesia, using DHOST’s unique and cutting edge technologies system.
- Counsel to Mitbana Pte Ltd, a joint venture company of Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) and Surbana Jurong (SJ), in the biggest (and first of its kind) advance smart and sustainable Transit-Oriented Developments (TODs) in BSD City, South Tangerang, Greater Jakarta, where Mitbana forms a significant partnership with leading Indonesian property developer Sinar Mas Land. Building on BSD City’s track record, the Project is to transform hundreds of hectares of greenfield land into TODs comprising residential units, commercial properties, living amenities, green-park offices, digital hubs, a convention centre, a hospital, schools, railways and public transport nodes, which enlarges BSD City’s existing development footprint and expand on its current population of 200,000 residents.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) in its real property and urban development in a prestigious South Jakarta area Fatmawati with a leading Indonesian property developer, with the total project area of 3,300 m2, where the Project includes expansion of mixed-uses properties, including apartment and commercial premise and involves complex spatial allocation conversion as well as land sales and purchase.
- Counsel to major Japanese consumer credit supplier Orient Corp in the acquisition of a majority interest in an Indonesian finance company PT. Mizuho Balimor Finance from Mizuho Bank. Established in 1989, PT. Mizuho Balimor Finance has capital of 448 billion rupiah and receivables of around USD 190 million. The acquisition would allow Orient Corp to tap into the growing Indonesian car loan market, and will enable Orient Corp to expand its local arm’s business to used vehicles. This will be Orico’s third overseas arm following those in Thailand and the Philippines.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance in its investment in Gojek, as part of its ongoing Series F funding round, which together with investment of Mitsubishi Corporation have raised over USD1 billion investment. The new investment allows Mitsubishi to tap into Gojek’s expertise and presence in the mobility and consumer services market and at the same time enable Gojek to continue to develop new products and services to reach more people and create greater value and to invest across transport, food, delivery, logistics, mobile payments and merchant services businesses and to accelerate its market expansion across Southeast Asia.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi Corporation in its superblock urban development project of more than USD 350 million, located in 12 Ha area of Vasanta InnoPark, Bekasi regency, West Java Indonesia. As a whole, Vasanta InnoPark plans to construct 17 high-rise buildings, including apartments, commercial facilities, office buildings and hotels and it is situated in a very strategic location for connecting to airports, ports and industrial parks.
- Counsel to Tokyo Gas Asia Pte. Ltd in the acquisition PT Super Energy Tbk (SE), a publicly-listed Indonesian company, PT Energy Mina Abadi, and PT Gasuma Federal Indonesia and PT Bahtera Abadi Gas. SE company group is one of the most productive Indonesian gas distribution group companies, which is expanding its gas projects throughout Java, with a target of gas feed production of 12 MMSCFD in 2020. SE company group refines and compresses unutilized gas such as associated gas produced from oil wells and natural gas from small-scale gas fields and supplies the gas in the form of compressed natural gas (CNG) to industrial customers. SE Group’s plans to pursue reductions of CO2 emissions in the country by increasing utilization of unused gas and encouraging industrial customers to switch from liquid fossil fuels with high CO2 emissions to natural gas are consistent with Tokyo Gas Group’s management strong vision of “Compass 2030”, which envisages the expansion and diversification of its global businesses and the realization of a net zero CO2 emission society.
- Counsel to PT Bank Sahabat Sampoerna and Koperasi Sahabat Sampoerna in their proposed acquisition of aggregate IDR 7 trillion (USD 550 million) loan portfolios of approximately 80,000 small scale – medium scale loan accounts from another licensed Indonesian bank, including advising and assisting the clients in the structuring complex and sophisticated financing and fundraising structures and the subsequent plan to service of the proposed portfolio loans.
- Counsel to Tokyo Tatemono Co Ltd & Tokyo Tatemono Asia Pte Ltd, one of the biggest Japanese real property companies, in their proposed of more than $ 300,000,000 urban development projects in Indonesia, specifically on the development of certain prominent office and residential towers in the most prestigious area in south Jakarta, where he advises and assists the clients both from legal and commercial perspectives, particularly in relation to their sophisticated multi layers financing and funding structures and closely work together with them in their joint venture, land acquisition, construction and licensing matters.
- Counsel to Hokkan Holdings Corporation (Hokkan), one of the largest Japanese bottling and packaging maker companies, in its 1,262 billion Indonesian Rupiah or approximately 9.5 billion yen acquisition of beverage package manufacturing business from 7 group companies of PT. Deltapack Industri (DPI group), which includes transfer and assignment of substantial DPI group’s moveable and immovable assets as well as business portfolios.
- Counsel to and advising Showa Denko on the structuring and successful divestment from PT Indonesia Chemical Alumina (ICA), a company established in 2007, with a capital of USD 188,500,000 and annual production of 300,000 ton of chemical grade alumina (GCA) resulting to annual sales of US$ 200 million. The divestment resulted in PT Aneka Tambang Tbk owning 100% of ICA’s shares.
- Counsel to a Chinese port company in its proposed acquisition of a port terminal company, a subsidiary of PT Pelabuhan Indonesia I (Persero, for the further development of Kuala Tanjung Multipurpose Terminal, to serve direct service route from Kuala Tanjung to the People Republic of China and the integrated Industrial Estate (ongoing).
Seminars and Publications:
- A co- lecturer representing Indonesia in the 10th Symposium on International Civil and Commercial Law, organized by the Ministry of Justice of Japan, through the International Civil and Commercial Law Center Foundation (ICCLC), co-held by Osaka Chamber of Commerce and Industry and supported by Japan External Trade Organization, Osaka Headquarters, Japan International Cooperation Agency, Osaka Bar Association, and Kansai Economic Federation, where together with guest lecturers from Japan, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam, the firm discussed and compared legal situations and practical issues and future prospects of joint venture in each jurisdiction.
- Keynote Speaker at “Indonesian Offshore Loan and Security Interests and Rapid Growth of Indonesian P2P Practices” in Singapore, held at the Japanese Association Singapore, attended by more than 35 representatives of Japanese banks and companies.
- Keynote Speaker at “Analytical Review of Indonesian Regulations on Merger, Acquisition and Consolidation”, held by the most prestigious Indonesian law online journal HukumOnline.
- Luky Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Andhika Indrapraja/Rainer Faustine Jonathan, Chambers Global Guide 2021: Law & Practice – Real Estate 2021;
- Miriam Andreta/Jeanne Elisabeth Donauw/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Andhika Indrapraja, Chambers Global Guide 2021, Country Overview as Thought Leader;
- Luky I. Walalangi/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Anggarara CP Hamami, Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 Guide: Practice Area Overview Chapter – Corporate M&A in Indonesia.
- Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Siti Kemala Nuraida, Real Estate 2021, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG), Global Legal Group, 2021.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Corporate M&A 2020 : Trends & Developments, Chambers & Partners, 2020.
- Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Femalia Indrainy Kusumowidagdo/Raditya Pratamandika Putra, Banking Regulation 2020, Getting The Deal Through, 2020.
- Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Anggarara Hamami/Ophelia Novka Kusuma Asri, Lending and Secured Finance 2020, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG), Global Legal Group, 2020.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Legal Frontiers in Indonesia: Innovative Approaches to Cross Border M&A, Asia Business Law Journal, 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Indonesia Country Report, Mergers & Acquisitions 2019, Asialaw.
- Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Femalia Indrainy Kusumowidagdo, Banking Regulation 2019, Getting The Deal Through, 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Banking Regulation 2019 Edition, Global Legal Insight (GLI), 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Sinta Dwi Cestakarani, Fintech 2019 Edition, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG), Global Legal Group, 2019.Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Indonesian Banking Regulation, Global Legal Insight (GLI), 2018.