Prior to joining Walalangi & Partners, Hans Adiputra Kurniawan had worked at one of the biggest law firms and at one of the largest foreign banks in Indonesia as the Indonesia’s Country Transaction Manager, where he gained valuable hands-on experience and opportunity working with the corporate trust and loan agency team in numerous major syndication loans, project finance and business acquisition financing, including the financing and refinancing transactions of various leading companies, such as telecommunication tower companies, shipping companies, gold and copper mining companies, oil and gas companies as well as a greenfield ammonia production plant in Indonesia.
In capital market transactions, he represented various foreign investors in numerous acquisitions of Indonesian listed company, through either right issue or shares acquisition (within and outside IDX) and counsel bondholders in a number of bond issuance.
In respect of M&A, he has represented a number of Japanese trading companies for their investment plans in Indonesia in numerous projects and cross-border transactions, ranging from plantation and steel industry projects to the acquisitions of shares, business and assets (land) as well as other practice areas, such as general mining, oil and gas, tourism, property, trading (including warehouse and e-commerce), fishery, and multi-finance industries.
Hans Adiputra Kurniawan has been awarded various accolades as a lawyer. He was named one of the “Best Young Lawyers of 2020” by Asian Legal Business (ALB), as one of the “Asia Future Leaders” by IFLR1000 2021, and as a “Leading Lawyer – Rising Star” by IFLR1000 2021 and 2022. In addition, he was also named on the list of Indonesia’s Rising Stars 2020” and the “40 under 40” list of outstanding legal professionals in Asia in 2019 by Asian Legal Business (ALB).
The following are some of the prestigious deals that he has been involved in:
- Counsel to Japan Bike Auction Company Ltd., a leading Japanese motorcycle online auction company headquartered in Yokohama, in its successful divestment from PT JBA Indonesia, a pioneer and major player in Indonesian automotive auction market with more than 16 branches and 18 hubs operating across Indonesia, to PT Autopedia Sukses Lestari, a direct subsidiary of PT Adi Sarana Armada Tbk. (a leading Indonesian publicly listed limited liability company providing vehicle rental services for corporations, logistics transportation, driver hiring services, automotive auction houses, and vehicle sharing services through 18 branch offices, 26 representative offices, with total assets of IDR 5,170.90 billion as of 2020), with transaction value of JPY1,670,000,000.
- Counsel to SECOM CO., LTD, Japan’s first security services provider (established in 1962 and listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange and the Osaka Securities Exchange) with worldwide operation base (in 18 countries and territories), market capitalization of USD 19.2 billion, and consolidated revenue of JPY 1,035,898 million (fiscal year ended March 31, 2021), in the share restructuring of its Indonesian subsidiary, PT Secom Indonesia, a leading-established company providing integrated security services in Indonesia, among others (i) Online Alarm Monitoring & Response; (ii) Facilities Monitoring; (iii) Security Guard Supply & Training; (iv) Management Services; and (v) Internal Audit & Assessment, which aimed to further strengthen PT Secom Indonesia’s position as one of the leading security services companies in Indonesian market and support SECOM CO., LTD’s global operation.
- Counsel to one of the biggest trading Japanese companies in its total IDR 500 billion restructuring and divestment, which include capital reduction and almost IDR 60 billion shares transfer as well as amendment in an existing Joint Operation where the existing joint venture company incorporated together with one of the largest Indonesian conglomerate groups real property leader, is managing a 322 hectares large-scale township of residential and commercial complex in eastern Jakarta.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) and its Indonesian subsidiary PT Diamond Development Indonesia (DDI) in their new urban integrated township project with an estimated gross development value (GDV) of IDR 9 trillion (approx. USD 630 million) in SHILA at Sawangan, a 102-hectare township in Depok, West Java, Indonesia. To implement the project, MC and DDI have formed a significant partnership with a leading Indonesian real property developer listed in IDX, PT Pakuan Tbk.
The development project comprises premium landed housing clusters integrated with a range of facilities, such as a golf course, commercial facilities, dining pods, the X-Change, and other supporting innovative public facilities. It is constructed right next to the under-construction circular JORR2 Toll Road, providing the residents with more convenient connectivity to Jakarta, Tangerang, and the Soekarno-Hatta International Airport. This is the second development project between MC and Vasanta Group (following their successful project of the Vasanta Innopark in Bekasi Regency, West Java, in 2019), reflecting the full and continuing commitment of the parties to provide the highest quality landed properties in the best locations.
- Counsel to one of world’s leading manufacturers of automotive and motorcycle batteries, on the restructuring and expansion of its Indonesian subsidiary’s automobiles lead-acid batteries distribution business, which aim to maximize the synergy effects and its position in Indonesian market. The expansion would allow the Client to strengthen its supply chain for fuel-efficient and eco-friendly technologies for cars and motorcycles.
- Counsel to Mitbana Pte Ltd, a joint venture company of Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) and Surbana Jurong (SJ), in the biggest (and first of its kind) advance smart and sustainable Transit-Oriented Developments (TODs) in BSD City, South Tangerang, Greater Jakarta, where Mitbana forms a significant partnership with leading Indonesian property developer Sinar Mas Land. Building on BSD City’s track record, the Project is to transform hundreds of hectares of greenfield land into TODs comprising residential units, commercial properties, living amenities, green-park offices, digital hubs, a convention centre, a hospital, schools, railways and public transport nodes, which enlarges BSD City’s existing development footprint and expand on its current population of 200,000 residents.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance in its investment in Gojek, as part of its ongoing Series F funding round, which together with investment of Mitsubishi Corporation have raised over USD1 billion investment. The new investment allows Mitsubishi to tap into Gojek’s expertise and presence in the mobility and consumer services market and at the same time enable Gojek to continue to develop new products and services to reach more people and create greater value and to invest across transport, food, delivery, logistics, mobile payments and merchant services businesses and to accelerate its market expansion across Southeast Asia.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi Corporation in its superblock urban development project of more than USD 350 million, located in 12 Ha area of Vasanta InnoPark, Bekasi regency, West Java Indonesia. As a whole, Vasanta InnoPark plans to construct 17 high-rise buildings, including apartments, commercial facilities, office buildings and hotels and it is situated in a very strategic location for connecting to airports, ports and industrial parks.
- Counsel to Tokyo Gas Asia Pte. Ltd in the acquisition PT Super Energy Tbk (SE), a publicly-listed Indonesian company, PT Energy Mina Abadi, and PT Gasuma Federal Indonesia and PT Bahtera Abadi Gas. SE company group is one of the most productive Indonesian gas distribution group companies, which is expanding its gas projects throughout Java, with a target of gas feed production of 12 MMSCFD in 2020. SE company group refines and compresses unutilized gas such as associated gas produced from oil wells and natural gas from small-scale gas fields and supplies the gas in the form of compressed natural gas (CNG) to industrial customers. SE Group’s plans to pursue reductions of CO2 emissions in the country by increasing utilization of unused gas and encouraging industrial customers to switch from liquid fossil fuels with high CO2 emissions to natural gas are consistent with Tokyo Gas Group’s management strong vision of “Compass 2030”, which envisages the expansion and diversification of its global businesses and the realization of a net zero CO2 emission society.
- Counsel to PT Bank Sahabat Sampoerna and Koperasi Sahabat Sampoerna in their proposed acquisition of aggregate IDR 7 trillion (USD 550 million) loan portfolios of approximately 80,000 small scale – medium scale loan accounts from another licensed Indonesian bank, including advising and assisting the clients in the structuring complex and sophisticated financing and fundraising structures and the subsequent plan to service of the proposed portfolio loans.
- Counsel to Tokyo Tatemono Co Ltd & Tokyo Tatemono Asia Pte Ltd, one of the biggest Japanese real property companies, in their proposed of more than $ 300,000,000 urban development projects in Indonesia, specifically on the development of certain prominent office and residential towers in the most prestigious area in south Jakarta, where he advises and assists the clients both from legal and commercial perspectives, particularly in relation to their sophisticated multi layers financing and funding structures and closely work together with them in their joint venture, land acquisition, construction and licensing matters.
- Counsel to Hokkan Holdings Corporation (Hokkan), one of the largest Japanese bottling and packaging maker companies, in its 1,262 billion Indonesian Rupiah or approximately 9.5 billion yen acquisition of beverage package manufacturing business from 7 group companies of PT. Deltapack Industri (DPI group), which includes transfer and assignment of substantial DPI group’s moveable and immovable assets as well as business portfolios.
- Counsel to and advising Showa Denko on the structuring and successful divestment from PT Indonesia Chemical Alumina (ICA), a company established in 2007, with a capital of USD 188,500,000 and annual production of 300,000 ton of chemical grade alumina (GCA) resulting to annual sales of US$ 200 million. The divestment resulted in PT Aneka Tambang Tbk owning 100% of ICA’s shares.
Seminars and Publications:
- A co- lecturer representing Indonesia in the 10th Symposium on International Civil and Commercial Law, organized by the Ministry of Justice of Japan, through the International Civil and Commercial Law Center Foundation (ICCLC), co-held by Osaka Chamber of Commerce and Industry and supported by Japan External Trade Organization, Osaka Headquarters, Japan International Cooperation Agency, Osaka Bar Association, and Kansai Economic Federation, where together with guest lecturers from Japan, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam, the firm discussed and compared legal situations and practical issues and future prospects of joint venture in each jurisdiction.
- Keynote Speaker at “Indonesian Offshore Loan and Security Interests and Rapid Growth of Indonesian P2P Practices” in Singapore, held at the Japanese Association Singapore, attended by more than 35 representatives of Japanese banks and companies.
- Keynote Speaker at “Analytical Review of Indonesian Regulations on Merger, Acquisition and Consolidation”, held by the most prestigious Indonesian law online journal HukumOnline.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Siti Kemala Nuraida/Andhika Indrapraja, Real Estate Comparative Guide 2021, The Legal500, 2021.
- Luky Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Andhika Indrapraja/Rainer Faustine Jonathan, Chambers Global Guide 2021: Law & Practice – Real Estate 2021;
- Miriam Andreta/Jeanne Elisabeth Donauw/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Andhika Indrapraja, Chambers Global Guide 2021, Country Overview as Thought Leader;
- Luky I. Walalangi/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Anggarara CP Hamami, Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 Guide: Practice Area Overview Chapter – Corporate M&A in Indonesia.
- Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Siti Kemala Nuraida, Real Estate 2021, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG), Global Legal Group, 2021.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Corporate M&A 2020 : Trends & Developments, Chambers & Partners, 2020.
- Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Femalia Indrainy Kusumowidagdo/Raditya Pratamandika Putra, Banking Regulation 2020, Getting The Deal Through, 2020.
- Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Anggarara Hamami/Ophelia Novka Kusuma Asri, Lending and Secured Finance 2020, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG), Global Legal Group, 2020.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Legal Frontiers in Indonesia: Innovative Approaches to Cross Border M&A, Asia Business Law Journal, 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Indonesia Country Report, Mergers & Acquisitions 2019, Asialaw.
- Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Femalia Indrainy Kusumowidagdo, Banking Regulation 2019, Getting The Deal Through, 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Banking Regulation 2019 Edition, Global Legal Insight (GLI), 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Sinta Dwi Cestakarani, Fintech 2019 Edition, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG), Global Legal Group, 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Indonesian Banking Regulation, Global Legal Insight (GLI), 2018.