Prior to joining Walalangi & Partners, Mr. Rainer Faustine Jonathan worked as an associate in other prominent law firms in Jakarta. He was involved in the working group that handled several high-valued litigation and arbitration cases related to employment, commercial dispute and bankruptcy as well as suspension of payment and have gained tremendous experience and practical knowledge on these matters. In addition, he was also highly praised by his clients when assisting them in their various M&A transactions, antitrust, environmental and land acquisition as well as real property transactions.
During his years of practice, he has been successfully assisting and advising clients in the following notable works:
- Representing Mitsui & Co and Mitsui & Co Energy Trading Singapore in structuring their settlement arrangement in relation to the bankruptcy process of PT Petro Energy at the Commercial Court of Jakarta.
- Representing Showa Leasing Co Ltd as a secured creditor (lender) in a debt restructuring with its defaulting borrower (PT Pamindo Tiga T) through an ongoing suspension of payment at the Commercial Court of Jakarta.
- Advising one of the biggest Japanese trading houses on its litigation case in Indonesian court against an Indonesian sugar producer group companies relating to compensation payment based on tort and annulment of loan agreements and its security documents.
- Representing Mitsubishi Corporation in its superblock urban development project of more than USD 350 million, located in 12 Ha area of Vasanta InnoPark, Bekasi regency, West java Indonesia. As a whole, Vasanta InnoPark plans to construct 17 high-rise buildings, including apartments, commercial facilities, office buildings, and hotels and it is situated in a very strategic location for connecting to airports, ports, and industrial parks.
- Representing Toyota Tsusho Corporation in its real property and phase III residential expansion, through land acquisition and residential towers development, located in Cikarang Bekasi, with a total investment value of IDR 910,000,000,000 or approximately ¥7,142 million. This is the continuation of the successful establishment and operation of the preceding AXIA Phase I and AXIA Phase II.
- Counsel to Leopalace21 Singapore Pte. Ltd on its development of midmarket apartment in Bekasi area with its local partner though capital participation in the target operating company.
- Counsel to subsidiary of a Japanese steel manufacturing company in structuring of its subsidiary’ export-import of steel products facilities arrangement toward default of payment by an Indonesian steel company, involving multi-layer sale and purchase transactions and complex structure of Indonesian security interest towards the related payment obligations.
- Advising Marubeni Corporation on the case of suspension of payment of PT Asmin Koalindo Tuhup at the Commercial Court of Jakarta.
- Representing PT Daikin Air Conditioning Indonesia on its litigation case in Indonesian court against its customer.
- Advising a Japanese Biggest Oil Company’s Representative Office in its employment termination dispute matter.
- Advising one of the biggest paramedical laboratory companies in its potential dispute with its principal in Hong Kong in relation to unilateral termination of distributorship agreement.
- Advising numerous Japanese companies in their various antitrust issues and post-merger report notification.
- Acting for one of the biggest Indonesian transportation taxi companies as the defendant in Indonesian courts proceeding.
- Acting for numerous multinational companies, as either defendants or the plaintiff, in number of court proceedings relating to implementation of contracts, to name a few: sale and purchase of rubber, gas compressor rental and debt to equity swap.
- Acting for an Indonesian company in an arbitration case hearing at Badan Arbitrase Nasional Indonesia (as respondent) relating to acquisition of chemical business.
- Acting for a reputable Indonesian company as the claimant in an ad-hoc arbitration, based on UNCITRAL rules, relating to development of coal terminal (port).
- Acting for several Indonesian companies as the defendants in bankruptcy cases before the commercial court and the supreme court and acting for a German bank, as a secured creditor, in a suspension of payment and bankruptcy case.
- Acting for various and numbers of Indonesian companies, as the defendant or the plaintiff, in relation to labor dispute cases before the Indonesian industrial relations court.
Publications and Seminar
- Luky I. Walalangi/Andhika Indrapraja/Rainer Faustine Jonathan, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG) to Real Estate 2020, Global Legal Group, 2020.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Andhika Indrapraja/Rainer Faustine Jonathan, Real Estate 2019, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG), Global Legal Group, 2019
- Miriam Andreta/Rainer Faustine Jonathan/Putri Bening Larasati, Merger Control 8th Edition, Global Legal Insight (GLI), 2019.