Mr. Luky Walalangi has been assisting various foreign companies (including number of Japanese trading companies) in their complex investments and acquisitions (including assets and portfolio loans acquisitions), real property projects and corporate restructurings in Indonesia. He has also represented leading global banking and financial groups on major finance transactions, bond issuance, sophisticated fund-raising projects as well as number of major electricity projects in Indonesia.
Mr. Luky Walalangi advises in major strategic acquisitions in Indonesia in various sectors, from traditional company acquisitions to complex assets and portfolio loans acquisitions. He is considered among the leading M&A and finance practitioners by the top legal surveys, and he continues to be recognized by international law journals, such as Chambers Global, Chambers Asia Pacific, IFLR 1000, Asia Pacific Legal 500, Asialaw. Recently he was recognized by Chambers Global 2019 and Chambers Asia Pacific 2019 as Recognised Practitioner for Corporate / M&A, by Asia Business Law Journal 2018 and 2019 as one of the A-List: Indonesia’s Top 100 Lawyers and was nominated as Managing Partner of the Year by ALB Indonesia Law Awards 2018 . He is regarded by IFLR1000 as a leading lawyer in 2018 and 2019 and highly regarded in Banking, Competition, M&A, Project Finance, Real Estate finance.
In the area of M&A, Assets Acquisition and Real Property, Mr. Walalangi has been successfully assisting and advising the clients in the following prestigious deals:
- Advising Mitsui Co Ltd in its strategic investment in Axiata’s digital business, one of the largest telecom companies in Asia with some 150 million subscribers in Southeast Asia and South Asia, which businesses include Boost, an electronic wallet service in Malaysia and Indonesia; ADA, an independent digital marketing agency; and Apigate, an application programming interface platform company. Axiata Digital was established in 2013 and has to-date invested in 30 brands in businesses ranging from financial services to digital advertising.
- Representing Tokyo Tatemono Co Ltd & Tokyo Tatemono Asia Pte Ltd, one of the biggest Japanese real property companies, in their proposed of more than $ 300,000,000 urban development projects in Indonesia, specifically on the development of certain prominent office and residential towers in the most prestigious area in south Jakarta, where he advises and assists the Clients both from legal and commercial perspectives, particularly in relation to their sophisticated multi layers financing and funding structures and closely work together with them in their joint venture, land acquisition, construction and licensing matters.
- Acting for Nippon Steel and Sumitomo Metal Corporation and Osaka Steel corporation in their total of more than USD 500 million investments and land purchase in Indonesia and development of steel manufacturing companies and marketing companies.
- Representing Hokkan Holdings Corporation (Hokkan), one of the largest Japanese bottling and packaging maker companies, in its 1,262 billion Indonesian Rupiah or approximately 9.5 billion yen acquisition of beverage package manufacturing business from 7 group companies of PT. Deltapack Industri (DPI group), which includes transfer and assignment of substantial DPI group’s moveable and immovable assets as well as business portfolios.
- Representing Toyota Tsusho Corporation in its real property and phase III residential expansion, through land acquisition and residential towers development, located in Cikarang Bekasi, with a total investment value of IDR 910,000,000,000 or approximately ¥7,142 million. This is the continuation of the successful establishment and operation of the preceding AXIA Phase I and AXIA Phase II.
- Representing Bizzy Group in its financing and internal restructuring of 9 e-commerce, logistic and distribution companies, involving acquisitions and capital reductions in various companies, including structuring of more than IDR 600 billion Mudharabah Financing to the acquirors.
- Representing Mitsui Co Ltd and Fujimori Kogyo in the ¥7 billion in the acquisition of PT Kingsford Holdings (“Kingsford”), which owns 79.42% of PT Champion Indonesia Shares Tbk as well as 3 operating manufacturing companies of packaging business, including in the subsequent Mandatory Tender Offer where Kingsford made a tender offer for 20.58% of PT Champion Indonesia shares owned byminority shareholders and the capital infusion implemented by Mitsui and Fujimori Kogyo and merger notification to KPPU.
- Representing PT Bank Sahabat Sampoerna and Koperasi Sahabat Sampoerna in their proposed acquisition of aggregate IDR 7 trillion (USD 550 million) loan portfolios of approximately 80,000 small scale – medium scale loan accounts from another licensed Indonesian bank, including advising and assisting the clients in the structuring complex and sophisticated financing and fundraising structures and the subsequent plan to service of the proposed portfolio loans.
- Acting for Mitsubishi Corporation in its 19 hectares satellite township mixed-use development project in Tangerang Regency (of 1,000 units of landed houses and shophouses).
- Acting for one of the biggest paint companies in japan in a business acquisition, assets and employees transfer and acquisition of company of one of the biggest Indonesian paint companies.
- Acting for a Japanese trading company in its internal restructuring of its multi-finance company, by issuance and subscription of new shares to a Lippo Group’s affiliated company.
Publications and Seminar:
- Key Note Speaker at “Development of Indonesian Legal Markets and Indonesian Financing” at annual Legal Forum in Tokyo and Fukuoka City on 22-24 January 2019, attended by more than 60 participants from various Japanese companies, banks and financial institutions.
- Key Note Speaker in Singapore of “Indonesian offshore loan and security interests and rapid growth of Indonesian P2P practices”, held at the Japanese Association Singapore, attended by more than 35 representatives of Japanese banks and companies in 2018.
- Key Note Speaker at “Panel Discussion on Public M&As”, in Tokyo on September 7th 2018, attended by more than 50 Japanese companies where he discussed factual issues in practice as well as various practical solutions.
- Key Note Speaker at “Analytical review of Indonesian Regulations on Merger, Acquisition and Consolidation”, held by the most prestigious Indonesian law online journal Hukumonline in 2018.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Sinta Dwi Cestakarani, Indonesia, Pitfalls of Creditor Security in Indonesia, Global Banking & Financial Policy Review 2018/2019, IFLR Yearbooks, 2018/2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Siti Kemala Nuraida, Indonesia, Recent Key Legal Development, Asialaw Profile 2019, 2018/2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Fiesta Victoria, Indonesia, Mergers and Acquisitions Report, International Financial Law Review (IFLR1000), 2018.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta, Indonesian Banking Regulation, Global Legal Insight (gli), 2018.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Fiesta Victoria/T.Anggra Syah Reza, The Real Estate Law Review, Fifth Edition, 2016.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta, Merger Control Survey 2017, International Financial Review, 2017.
- Luky I. Walalangi, General Overview of Security Interests Under Indonesian Law in Project Financing, Project Finance Review, PFR Euromoney Yearbook, 2013/2014.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta, Indonesian Merger Control, Merger Control Review, Eight Edition, 2017.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta, Indonesian Merger Control, Merger Control Review, Seventh Edition, 2016.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta, Indonesian Merger Control, Merger Control Review, Sixth Edition, 2015.
- Luky I. Walalangi, Indonesian Merger Control, Merger Control Review, Fifth Edition, 2014.
- Luky I. Walalangi, Indonesian Merger Control, Merger Control Review, Fourth Edition, 2013.
- Luky I. Walalangi, Indonesian Merger Control, Merger Control Review, Third Edition, 2012.
- Luky I. Walalangi, Indonesian Merger Control, Merger Control Review, Second Edition, 2011.
- Luky I. Walalangi, General Overview of Security Interests Under Indonesian Law in Project Financing Project Finance Review, PFY Euromoney Yearbook, 2010/2011.
- Luky I. Walalangi, Power in Indonesia Faces an Increasing Demand for an Insufficient Supply Power and Energy Finance Review, PFR Euromoney Yearbook, 2008/2009.