Mr. Luky Walalangi is an Indonesian qualified lawyer, an expert and a leading lawyer in M&A, Banking and Finance and Real Estate transactions with almost two decades of experience, whom cited by Asialaw Profiles as Indonesian Lawyer of the Year for the Client Service Excellence Awards at the Asialaw Awards 2020.
Mr. Luky Walalangi has been assisting numerous and various foreign companies in their complex investments and acquisitions (including assets and portfolio loans acquisitions), real property projects and corporate restructurings in Indonesia. He has also represented leading global banking and financial groups on major finance transactions, bond issuance, sophisticated fund-raising projects as well as number of major electricity projects in Indonesia.
Mr. Luky Walalangi advises in major strategic acquisitions in Indonesia in various sectors, from traditional company acquisitions to complex assets and portfolio loans acquisitions. He is considered among the leading M&A and finance practitioners by the top legal surveys, and he continues to be recognized by international law journals, such as Chambers Global, Chambers Asia Pacific, IFLR1000, The Legal500 and Asialaw. He was recognized by Chambers Global 2020 and Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 as a ranked lawyer for Corporate/M&A. He is in the A-List Indonesia’s Top 100 Lawyers by Asia Business Law Journal in three consecutive years from 2018 to 2020 and highly regarded by IFLR1000 in Banking, M&A and for Project Finance for four consecutive years. In addition, he is also recognized as a Distinguished Practitioner in Banking & Finance, Corporate and M&A in 2020 and 2021 by Asialaw.
In the area of M&A, Assets Acquisition and Real Property, Mr. Walalangi has been successfully assisting and advising the clients in the following prestigious deals:
- Counsel to Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance in its investment in Gojek, as part of its ongoing Serie F funding round, which together with investment of Mitsubishi Corporation have raised over USD1 billion investment. The new investment allows Mitsubishi to tap into Gojek’s expertise and presence in the mobility and consumer services market and at the same time enable Gojek to continue to develop new products and services to reach more people and create greater value and to invest across transport, food, delivery, logistics, mobile payments and merchant services businesses and to accelerate its market expansion across Southeast Asia.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi Corporation in its superblock urban development project of more than USD 350 million, located in 12 Ha area of Vasanta InnoPark, Bekasi regency, West Java Indonesia. As a whole, Vasanta InnoPark plans to construct 17 high-rise buildings, including apartments, commercial facilities, office buildings and hotels and it is situated in a very strategic location for connecting to airports, ports and industrial parks.
- Advising Mitsui Co Ltd in its strategic investment in Axiata’s digital business, one of the largest telecom companies in Asia with some 150 million subscribers in Southeast Asia and South Asia, which businesses include Boost, an electronic wallet service in Malaysia and Indonesia; ADA, an independent digital marketing agency; and Apigate, an application programming interface platform company. Axiata Digital was established in 2013 and has to-date invested in 30 brands in businesses ranging from financial services to digital advertising.
- Counsel to Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation in their USD 7 billion joint acquisition with ArcelorMittal SA of Essar Steel India Limited, one of the largest major steel manufacturing companies with fully integrated steelworks and extensive domestic sales channels in India, resulting to Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation and ArcelorMittal SA taking control of the 10 million ton-per-year Essar Steel plant, marking the first participation of global steel majors in the fast-growing Indian steel market without a local partner.
- Representing Tokyo Tatemono Co Ltd & Tokyo Tatemono Asia Pte Ltd, one of the biggest Japanese real property companies, in their proposed of more than $ 300,000,000 urban development projects in Indonesia, specifically on the development of certain prominent office and residential towers in the most prestigious area in south Jakarta, where he advises and assists the Clients both from legal and commercial perspectives, particularly in relation to their sophisticated multi layers financing and funding structures and closely work together with them in their joint venture, land acquisition, construction and licensing matters.
- Counsel to a Japanese trading company in its real property development project of mixed-uses properties including apartment and commercial premise in a prestigious South Jakarta area with an Indonesian real estate conglomerate group, with the total project area of 3,300 m2.
- Acting for Nippon Steel and Sumitomo Metal Corporation and Osaka Steel corporation in their total of more than USD 500 million investments and land purchase in Indonesia and development of steel manufacturing companies and marketing companies.
- Representing Hokkan Holdings Corporation (Hokkan), one of the largest Japanese bottling and packaging maker companies, in its 1,262 billion Indonesian Rupiah or approximately 9.5 billion yen acquisition of beverage package manufacturing business from 7 group companies of PT. Deltapack Industri (DPI group), which includes transfer and assignment of substantial DPI group’s moveable and immovable assets as well as business portfolios.
- Representing Toyota Tsusho Corporation in its real property and phase III residential expansion, through land acquisition and residential towers development, located in Cikarang Bekasi, with a total investment value of IDR 910,000,000,000 or approximately ¥7,142 million. This is the continuation of the successful establishment and operation of the preceding AXIA Phase I and AXIA Phase II.
- Representing Bizzy Group in its financing and internal restructuring of 9 e-commerce, logistic and distribution companies, involving acquisitions and capital reductions in various companies, including structuring of more than IDR 600 billion Mudharabah Financing to the acquirors.
- Representing Mitsui Co Ltd and Fujimori Kogyo in the ¥7 billion in the acquisition of PT Kingsford Holdings (“Kingsford”), which owns 79.42% of PT Champion Indonesia Shares Tbk as well as 3 operating manufacturing companies of packaging business, including in the subsequent Mandatory Tender Offer where Kingsford made a tender offer for 20.58% of PT Champion Indonesia shares owned byminority shareholders and the capital infusion implemented by Mitsui and Fujimori Kogyo and merger notification to KPPU.
- Representing PT Bank Sahabat Sampoerna and Koperasi Sahabat Sampoerna in their proposed acquisition of aggregate IDR 7 trillion (USD 550 million) loan portfolios of approximately 80,000 small scale – medium scale loan accounts from another licensed Indonesian bank, including advising and assisting the clients in the structuring complex and sophisticated financing and fundraising structures and the subsequent plan to service of the proposed portfolio loans.
- Acting for Mitsubishi Corporation in its 19 hectares satellite township mixed-use development project in Tangerang Regency (of 1,000 units of landed houses and shophouses).
Publications and Seminar:
- Keynote Panelist at GC Summit Indonesia 2019 held by The Legal 500 (Legalease) on “Cross Border M&A in Emerging Markets; recent legislative changes impact on inbound investment to Indonesia and how can legal teams and GCs step up to meet new compliance demands and ensure a successful cross-border investment”, attended by more than 100 Indonesian GCs from major companies.
- Keynote Speaker at “Developments of Indonesian Legal Markets and Indonesian Financing” at annual Legal Forum in Tokyo and Fukuoka City, from January 22nd to 24th 2019, attended by more than 60 participants from various Japanese companies, banks and financial institutions.
- Keynote Speaker at “Indonesian Offshore Loan and Security Interests and Rapid Growth of Indonesian P2P Practices” in Singapore on November 14th, 2018, held at the Japanese Association Singapore, attended by more than 35 representatives of Japanese banks and companies.
- Keynote Speaker at “Panel Discussion on Public M&A” in Tokyo on September 7th, 2018, attended by more than 50 Japanese companies where he discussed factual issues in practice as well as various practical solutions.
- Keynote Speaker at “Analytical Review of Indonesian Regulations on Merger, Acquisition and Consolidation” in 2018, held by the most prestigious Indonesian law online journal Hukumonline.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Corporate M&A 2020: Trends & Developments, Chambers & Partners, 2020.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Andhika Indrapraja/Rainer Faustine Jonathan, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG) to Real Estate 2020, Global Legal Group, 2020.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Legal Frontiers in Indonesia: Innovative Approaches to Cross Border M&A, Asia Business Law Journal, 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Indonesia Country Report, Mergers & Acquisitions 2019, Asialaw.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Sinta Dwi Cestakarani/Andhika Indrapraja, Data Protection 2019, Asian Legal Business (ALB) Supplements 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Andhika Indrapraja/Rainer Faustine Jonathan, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG) to Real Estate 2019, Global Legal Group, 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/R. Wisnu Renansyah Jenie, M&A Report 2019, IFLR1000, 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Siti Kemala Nuraida/Putri Bening Larasati, Lending & Secured Finance 2019, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG), Global Legal Group, 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Banking Regulation 2019 Edition, Global Legal Insight (GLI), 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan/Sinta Dwi Cestakarani, Fintech 2019 Edition, The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG), Global Legal Group, 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta, “Interview with”, The Legal 500, Asia Pacific 2019 edition.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Siti Kemala Nuraida/Andhika Indrapraja, 2019 edition of The International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG) to Mergers & Acquisitions, Global Legal Group, 2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Sinta Dwi Cestakarani, Indonesia, Pitfalls of Creditor Security in Indonesia, Global Banking & Financial Policy Review 2018/2019, IFLR Yearbooks, 2018/2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Siti Kemala Nuraida, Indonesia, Recent Key Legal Development, Asialaw Profiles 2019, 2018/2019.
- Luky I. Walalangi, Dealmakers of Asia, Asian Legal Business, 2018.
- Luky I. Walalangi, Out of Time?, Asia Business Law Journal, December 2018 edition.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta, “Belt, Road, Indonesia”, Asian Legal Business (ALB), 2018.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Fiesta Victoria, Indonesia, Mergers and Acquisitions Report, IFLR1000, 2018.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Indonesian Banking Regulation, Global Legal Insight (GLI), 2018.