Mr. Kiyoshi Sugimoto obtained his law degree from Hitotsubashi University, Japan. He learned Indonesian language in University of Indonesia for 1 year where he earned the highest achievement for 3 consecutive semesters. His capability to fluently speak in three languages, Japanese, English and Indonesia is a rare talent appreciated by the clients, helping him to provide the best services to the clients.
Prior to joining Walalangi & Partners and Nishimura & Asahi, Mr. Kiyoshi Sugimoto worked at the largest Japanese trading houses where he focused in Indonesian automotive market. He joined Nishimura & Asahi, the biggest law firm in Japan, where he gained tremendous experiences in the areas of merger and acquisition, general corporate, crisis management and labor matters working with Japanese and international companies in various notable transactions and advisory works .
His noteworthy projects and involvements in the preceding years includ the following transactions:
- Representing MUFG Bank, Ltd., on its acquisition of shares in Indonesian banks PT Bank Danamon Indonesia, Tbk. (Bank Danamon) and PT Bank Nusantara Parahyangan, Tbk. (Bank BNP), and on the follow-on merger in which Bank Danamon acquired Bank BNP.
- Advising one of the largest Japanese trading houses on crisis management and corporate internal rules regarding its Indonesian subsidiary.
- Advising one of the largest Japanese trading houses on dispute towards the labor union regarding its Indonesian subsidiary.
- Representing a Japanese major commercial bank on multi million dollar M&A transaction where an Indonesian subsidiary of the client reshuffled its shareholders composition.
- Representing a Japanese major private equity fund on multi million dollar M&A transaction for the client to acquire a business from a Japanese major electronic company.
- Representing a Chinese company on acquiring a majority stake of a Japanese listed company through tender offer.
- Representing a US-based electronic company on acquiring the entire stake of a subsidiary of a Japanese major electronic company.
Publications and Seminar:
- Kiyoshi Sugimoto, Indonesian M&A seminar for Japanese companies in Jakarta at the Jakarta Japan Club (2019).
- Kiyoshi Sugimoto, speaking about lawyers’ pro-bono activities in Japan at the conference of Indonesian Bar Association in Surabaya (2019)
- Kiyoshi Sugimoto, monthly legal column for NNA, an Asian-wide Japanese media (on-going monthly since January 2018)
- Luky I. Walalangi/Yusuke Yoshimoto/Kiyoshi Sugimoto, Recent Developments in Fintech in Indonesia, Kinyu homu jijo No. 2091 (June 10, 2018)