Prior to joining Walalangi & Partners as an associate in 2017, he worked at one of the biggest law firms in Jakarta from 2010 until 2014. In late 2014, he moved to one of the largest foreign banks in Indonesia as a Transaction Manager, where he had gained depth exposures by strengthening the corporate trust and loan agency team and involved in numerous major syndication loans, project finance and business acquisition financing, including the financing and refinancing transactions for several leading telecommunication tower companies, shipping companies, gold and copper mining companies, oil and gas company as well as greenfield ammonia production plant in Indonesia. He had also performed a key role in assisting the business integration of such bank with a local commercial bank during 2016-2017, and obtained a certificate from the Asia Pacific Loan Market Association in Hong Kong for a syndicated loan practice as well as risk management from Lembaga Sertifikasi Profesi Perbankan in Jakarta.
In the areas of banking and finance, Mr. Hans Adiputra Kurniawan has been involved in major syndication loans (including debt restructuring and power projects), bond-issuances as well as general advisory. He has also been part of a team representing leading global banking and financial groups on major finance transactions, bond issuance, sophisticated fund-raising projects as well as number of major electricity projects in Indonesia. In respect of foreign direct investment and M&A, he represents a number Japanese trading companies for their investment plans in Indonesia in numerous projects and cross-border transactions, relating to plantation projects, steel industry, various acquisition of shares, business and assets (land) as well as other practice areas of law, such as general mining, oil and gas, tourism, property, trading (including warehouse and e-commerce), fishery and multi-finance industry.
The following are certain selected prestigious deals that he has been involved in:
- Acting for Lenders on US$800,000,000 multicurrency credit facilities agreement to Netherland group companies.
- Counsel to group of major bank institutions (as Lenders, Arranger and Facility Agency), in relation to US$ 300,000,000 Multi-Currency Revolving Facility Agreement to an Indonesian subsidiary of a Japanese conglomerate company.
- Counsel to group of lenders in relation to US$290,000,000 Secured Facility Agreement to Consumer Goods Producers group companies.
- Representing PT Bank Sahabat Sampoerna and Koperasi Sahabat Sampoerna in their proposed acquisition of aggregate IDR 7 trillion (USD 550 million) loan portfolios of approximately 80,000 small scale – medium scale loan accounts from another licensed Indonesian bank, including advising and assisting the clients in the structuring complex and sophisticated financing and fundraising structures and the subsequent plan to service of the proposed portfolio loans.
- Representing one of the biggest Japanese paper companies in its proposed acquisition of paper/tissue rolls/ manufacturing and distribution companies in Indonesia, owned by a prestigious Indonesian media company.
- Acting for Nippon Steel and Sumitomo Metal Corporation and Osaka Steel corporation in their investment of more than USD 500 million, where he advises them on the establishment of industrial and marketing companies together with a domestic steel state owned company, their complex shareholding structures, land acquisition and development, construction and licensing matters.
- Acting for various international bank and financial institution (on finance parties’ side) in number of financing and project financing transactions with Indonesian companies/group companies as well as acting for borrower’s side in various financing transaction, such as in the issuance by Indonesian downstream oil and gas company of US$ 1,500,000,000 6.45% Senior Notes due 2044 Pursuant to its U.S.$10,000,000,000 Global Medium-Term Note Program and the Issue of U.S.$ 1,625,000,000 Senior Notes due 2023 and U.S.$ 1,625,000,000 Senior Notes Due 2043 Pursuant to its U.S.$5,000,000,000 Global Medium Term Note Program.
Publications and Seminar
- Key Note Speaker in Singapore of “Indonesian offshore loan and security interests and rapid growth of Indonesian P2P practices”, held at the Japanese Association Singapore, attended by more than 35 representatives of Japanese banks and companies in 2018.
- Key Note Speaker at “Analytical review of Indonesian Regulations on Merger, Acquisition and Consolidation”, held by the most prestigious Indonesian law online journal Hukumonline in 2018.
- Luky I. Walalangi/Miriam Andreta/Hans Adiputra Kurniawan, Indonesian Banking Regulation, Global Legal Insight (gli), 2018.